Important Information For Illinois Customers Residing in Counties Declared Disaster Areas Following the November 17, 2013 Storms
The Illinois Department of Insurance issued Company Bulletin 2013-18 in response to the severe weather on November 17, 2013 that caused the following counties to be declared disaster areas: Champaign, Douglas, Fayette, Grundy, Jasper, LaSalle, Massac, Pope, Tazewell, Vermillion, Wabash, Washington, Wayne, Will and Woodford. The Bulletin requests insurers to help provide safeguards for consumers and to ensure that Illinois consumers affected by this disaster do not suffer unnecessary hardship. To accomplish these goals, Prudential took the following actions:
- For any cancellation or nonrenewal notice issued on or after November 10, 2013 on any in-force policy issued to an affected policyholder or respecting affected property, Prudential withdrew the cancellation or nonrenewal and reinstated the policy with no lapse in coverage.
- Prudential did not issue any new cancellation or nonrenewal notices to affected policyholders until or after January 11, 2014.
- Prudential will grant to affected policyholders an extension of policy provisions or other requirements that impose a time limit for an insured or claimant to take action (e.g., submission of a claim or proof of loss, reporting of information, or payment of premium) by no fewer than 60 days from the last due date.
- In the event repairs on affected property cannot be completed within the time period required under any policy, or within the 90-day time period for repairs prior to termination due to condition of the property, Prudential will provide consumers with an extension of not less than 60 days to make such repairs.
- Prudential will consider exceptions to policy or contract requirements, or to other rating or underwriting rules, when they are not met as result of this disaster.
If you have questions about this, please contact your Financial Professional or the Customer Service Center listed on your most recent communication from Prudential. You may also go to http://www.prudential.com/view/page/public/11840 to identify Customer Service contact information for Prudential products and services. We will be happy to address any questions or concerns you may have regarding any disaster-related dispute or issue. You may also contact the Illinois Department of Insurance's toll-free number at 1-866-445-5364 or file a complaint online at: http://insurance.illinois.gov/Home/ComplaintLinks.asp